Information Technology Integration
The successful integration of the Information Technology function
is frequently one of the highest priorities and
potentially one of the most expensive and complex to execute.
Maintain core business continuity / No material disruption
The successful Integration of the Information Technology function is frequently one of the highest priorities and potentially one of the most expensive and complex to execute. In part, this is because IT integration usually provides significant IT cost reduction and operational benefits and is also a key enabler of M&A benefits across many other functional areas.
In recognition of this, PMI Advisors offers IT integration services in addition to our Project 100 Days™ consulting methodology. We offer pre-deal closing due diligence support to help ensure a successful day one launch. Also, we assist in ensuring that IT due diligence outcomes will provide the IT vision and program support expectations required to launch implementation, along with post-closing program planning and execution services to help drive successful integration outcomes.
IT Integration Support Services
As a part of our IT integration service we are relentless in helping our clients stay focused on a few key success factors:
- Ensure IT strategy and execution stay focused on the deal business intent - One of the frequent mistakes is to allow acquisition integration program scope to expand and become a catch-all for lower priority or unrelated improvements.
- Speed over elegance - Successful integration efforts require quick, sometimes “good enough”, decision making, the jettison of all noncritical tasks, front end loading of benefits, and continued focus on the most significant business case or synergy elements.
- Maintain core business continuity / No material disruption - IT integration planning and execution work should not be allowed to jeopardize day-to-day operations or result in disruptions that impact the business in any material or unplanned way.
- Target more synergies than you need – Regardless of how thoroughly you are pursuing planned IT benefits, you need to expect leakage and the associated contingency costs to achieve those actions. Your business case should consider these factors.
- Senior management engagement and ownership - IT is a support function and actions frequently require support and sign off by various senior business partners. Sustained senior management commitment is critical to the integration effort. This requires the engagement needed to drive prompt decision making and the commitment to secure resources when needed. Most integration will fail at some level with sound management support.
IT Integration Models
Based on the overall acquisition or merger strategy, our clients typically implement one of four general models for a future state IT function. However, there is no cookie cutter optimal solution. For example, frequently there are logical transitional phases toward an end-state strategy. PMI Advisors can help you determine and get on the path to execute the best end-state model, enhanced to capture unique client opportunities.
Our experience with each model translates to less risk and faster execution for our clients. As a part of our integration services, we will assist on key elements of program development and execution such as the development of work plans, a prioritized roadmap, business case and synergy vetting, governance, project team structure, plan execution/status tracking, benefits capture tracking, etc.
We can do this across all work streams of an IT integration program including but not limited to:
- Pre-deal open project portfolio rationalization
- IT contracts review
- Infrastructure and mobile environment
- Business application rationalization and consolidation
- IT organization and customer support structure
- IT administration and leadership
- IT third party outsourcing or offshoring
- Enterprise acquisition program project portfolio
The PMI Advisors IT integration service offering is the right choice for many companies. Unlike many service providers our professionals are very experienced, with both a deep M&A and executive management backgrounds, often in numerous function and industry arenas. This means, unlike many consulting companies, our professionals frequently have extensive acquisition program experience and leadership roles in the various industries, in addition to experience as consultants. They understand the real-world pressures managers often face, the complexities of business environments… as well as the art of the possible.